Math at SudoRoom
We have a surprising number of Mathematicians in our hackerspace. Many of our programmers are mathematically oriented. Even weirder, many stay true to math instead of programming and even prefer to do calligraphy and art over coding. It's like entering a time machine.
The early days of SudoRoom at the old location in downtown Oakland were started with morning math sessions. I frankly find it unusual to find math for pure pleasure and outside of the context of teaching little kids. What a novelty! Those people are still here so maybe we can star this again.
Sidwalk Art Lessons
In 2015 Anthony Repetto left a beautiful graph theory problem in chalk near SudoRoom.
We are building a team of teachers and students to teach and learn math!
We have some hardcore math library books.
Old / no longer active
Morning Math Project
Morning_math Morning math was a rolling event at SudoRoom where attendees could create an anxiety-free zone to discuss and share mathematics
Morning Math Projects
- Morning math/Voting systems - Questioning the assumption of "one person, one vote" and an introduction to mathematical modeling.
- Morning math/Mathematical Reasoning - Introduction to basic logic, proofs, and abstract mathematics. The essential guide to a budding mathematician (of any disposition).
- Morning math/Science - Considering the fundamental mathematical/philosophical notions of science.
- Morning math/Forays in Logic - A casual engagement with some topics of logic. The nature of these topics may not be clear for newcomers, but do not be dissuaded if it seems advanced, initial reactions are helpful too.
- Morning math/Information - The theory (mainly mathematical) of Information and similar concepts.