Meeting Notes 2013-05-15

From Sudo Room
Revision as of 17:40, 22 May 2013 by (talk) (adds page)
(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Jump to navigation Jump to search

May 15 2013 Attending: Matt, Ryan, Marina, Jenny, Sam, Carmen, Africa, Will, Len, Tommy, Bill, Jordan, Vicky, Rev. Phil, Naomi, Max, Pete


Co-Facilitator: Matt Brief personal intros (< 20 sec per person)

   What is one thing you like to share with others? Food, wine, ideas, files, internet, connections :D

Icebreaker (10 min)

   Sudo Room Goals - next 6 months
   More people! Mo' space! Mo' money!
   Sustainable funding
   More representation of Oakland 
   Finding cool neighbors
   Being receptive to hobbyists
   Community / education / diversity
   Summer fundraiser, summer stuff generally (field trips, retreats!)
   Access & membership services sorted
   More cross-collaboration between the Bay Area hackerspaces

Share food / sudo mate if available.


Co-Facilitator: Ryan (< 8 minutes)

Consent Agenda

   (Let's use this time to briefly review and consent to items that need no more details or discussion) ====> We're trying this out!
   May 25th: Showing of Judi Bari film in the entire space. Rusty would love help organizing it.
   Fabulous Friday Films: If you have access to a sound system, please  contact Vicky. Vicky can take full responsibility of the sound system  and can pick up and drop it off, etc.
   Bring ALL Dolby Surround Sound speakers to sudo room please
   Contact Matt and Sam about existing sound system
   Sundays @ 7pm - Cleaning of Natural Decay
   Who is available to lead this week? ___________
   Craigslist posting looking for friends:
   Use (ask Romy or Matt for admin access)
   Tweet any space details @sudoroom

Other Announcements

   This Sat TIL: Fix It Day! (yaaaaayyy!!!):
   Sign up for TIL's (no one is scheduled after this week):
   BIKE SMUT: This Friday, doors open 8:22, show starts 9:07. (Vicky, who will be a little late)
   Signs will be put up advertising adultiness of the event
   Vicky and Phil take full responsibility fr cleaning. (Vicky is anal-retentive and this will not be a problem)
   GLOW WORMS: We need 2 more! Please contact Vicky via email/gchat if you would like to join in helping facilitate a safe space on Friday.
   SECURITY/GREETERS: Would anyone like to volunteer in shifts to hang out and greet people as they enter? Anthony expressed interest. Anyone else?
   VOLUNTEER MOVERS: Vicky needs a person or 2 persons to help move speakers onto a truck (6pmish), into the space and out of the space (end of show, midnightish). Any volunteers?
   If you have  any concerns/questions/comments/suggestions please contact Vicky via  direct email (best way to reach her), not listserv.
   Presentation: beautiful DIY cloth menstrual pad (Vicky)
   Interested in more inter-hackerspaces collab? Join Open Hack Night every Monday at 7pm @LOL (1234 23rd Avenue, San Antonio (east Oakland)). LOL is a POC, Queer and Women-organized hackerspace. It is radically inclusive--EVERYONE is a desired member! Their organizers want us to do more stuff at each others' spaces. :] :] (Vicky)
   Next BACH planning meeting: Fri May 24 @ 8pm at West Gate San Leandro, 1933 Davis St, San Leandro
   BACH info:
   Sudo Bike


   Co-Facilitatory: Marina (< 5 min)
   Follow-up on previous items--keeping it brief, okay to table if necessary to next meeting:
   New Business:
   Africa and Carmen can sign up for east bay diybio with  <go to there
   Max is researching alternative ISPs and recommends LMI, will continue this discussion on the sudo-sys list.
   Old Business:
   [postponed until next week] WHO WANTS TO RUN AN ETHERNET CABLE to rock paper scissors collective? - Matt will help
   Add Hacky Happer Hour to the calendar - Romy hosted Hacker Happy Hour
   Oakland Nights Live - what to do?
   [postponed until next week] Bill will talk with them about this regardless on Friday for "Capital and Crisis" putting on thinking caps
   ... and "theorizing"
   [Sharing Sketch Tomorrow for Supper w/ Public School] Jenny - Set expectations for sudo events, make this available to internal & external
   -Ensure doors are closed
   -Trash and recycling
   -Running the dishwasher
   -Putting furniture back where it belongs
   Jenny will discuss with Public School this Thurs.
   Postponed (not for discussion, only for reference):
   [Postponed] Talk to Danny O'Brien, intro from JC to Jordan, invite him to come to a future sudo meeting to share insight!
   Straight to the source--but out of the country :( Will be back later this month and Jordan will follow up then.
   [Postponed until necessary] Eddan - Reference letter from George
   [Postponed until necessary] Jenny sync with Troy on library - Not yet but they will
   Set up date for label-printing organizing of stuff event - Jenny!1 -troy
   still need to set a date
   [Postponed until someone throws Romy a massive love bomb] Romy to lead diagram for Articles of Association amendment
   Romy to work with Troy to turn the articles into a flow diagram. Diagrams and drawings of sudo room members being passed around.
   [Postponed until ?] Add articles to github (gitorious!!!!!!!? - - Yardena is going to put these articles up

Fiscal Solvency

(20 min) Exchequer: Tommy && Co-facilitator: Sam

   Third Wed - collect dues! (2nd & 3rd - collect dues, 4th - assess where we're at) pay your dues!
   Review and consensus process:
   Fiscal Solvency Spreadsheet -
   Rent: $1500; Utilities: $220; Services: $50
   Target membership contribution: $88 per member (based on approx. 30 people)
   now we're collecting target of $60
   some give more
   sense of urgency: Still working on month-to-month
   Financial Planning
   Fund-raising efforts?
   Leverage existing resources and infrastructure
   E.g. events, fund-raisers
   Recurring income
   sustainable for a long time
   Long-term sustainability and viability
   e.g. meetups, institutional stability, etc.
   Creating items at low-cost for considerable mark-up donation
   other swag
   Electronic kits
   Ethersheet Spreadsheet to track revenues? Automated form (Google Forms)?
   Cottage Food Law 
   Shared Kitchens/Gardens
   Sudo Mate - Max & Ray
   Iced, carbonated, DELICIOUS mate soda beverage (exquisite, yum!)
   Sudo Beer (Subiir) - Morten & Marc
   Sudo Gravy (marinara sauce) - Ray - Last week's $40 went to Sudo Room rent. Sold all 4 pints (all that was left after dinner) Yay!
   Sudo Lunch / Grab-n-go option - ? [DOES NOT YET EXIST]
   suggestion by Marc
   Rusty's "Savior Bars"!
   Some exchange model that is advantageous for some reason
   Eddie's "Dope" Popcorn
   "Just do it"
   3D printed stuff
   magnets - Jordan
   bike mounting accessories (easy to print, can adapt to any device mounting!) -hol
   other objects
   other 3D printers
   3d printed exoskeleton
   DIY handheld 3D printer pen based on a hot glue gun Cheap as hell
   "Captain crunch whistles" - Le Oficial Ray (Rey?)
   Bike bevereage holders
   T-shirts - Dan Finlay (already an action item)
   Buttons (moar)
   Dependent upon logo
   LED cubes - hol??????????
   Membership dues
   sliding-scale, voluntary (current)
   better advertisement
   --> Scrounging for MOAR
   Flyers, put things around the area, galleries, cafes, etc.
   Could be extremely effective
   Could do a bike-about
   better price-]points (concrete options beyond general $60 discussion)
   will be informed by member survey (already an action item)
   Do we accept BITCOIN????????????
   Automatic reminders
   Repair Services
   Fix-it clinic style (especially electronics, etc)?
   Could also do custom bike stuff, bike repair!
   Specifically could get $ from burners
   Not necessarily easy while in our current, less-developed state
   Donated equipment
   Repair and sell, e.g. on Ebay - suggestion by Eddan
   Re-use and sell or sell as services
   Similar potential to
   DIY ISP ++ 
   a la
   Laci Videmsky has offered to host a workshop on how to do this, like he and his business partner did with Ranch Wifi
   electronics - (i won't be at the meeting tonight but if we come up with a few and order the components in bulk and package individually together, we can sell at events - Hol)
   Home PCs for cheapz
   Art kits
   Writing kits
   Kits of kits :D ^.^ ^.^
   Kits of 3D printers that create other kits
   Non-profit status
   Tax-deductable Donations as a 501(c)3
   Noisebridge and School Factory have offered to provide fiscal sponsorship
   School Factory has a lot more experience than NB in fiscal sponsorship
   Regular events
   Speaker events - of particular relevance to our projects
   Covers? No covers?
   Len - from a business standpoint there are two different funding mechanisms at play here
   One is internal funding, the other is coming from external sources
   You can also look at things as "products" or "not products" the technology may or may not be there.
   Examine the who / what / where / when / why, and the time / effort involved -- you can cross most of it out
   Added speaker events section
   In particular, UC Berkeley wifi groups are excited about sudo, would possibly be interested in speaking here
   We would want to do some of these things regardless of whether or not they brought in income
   Art Murmur membership could provide us space to sell things. Bill
   Internet security, in NY times two days ago - information security as a service we could offer.

Amendments to the Articles of Association

Co-Facilitator: ?

Conflict Resolution

Co-Facilitator: ?

Additional Items

(per item) Co-Facilitator: Tommy

   Space / New Space / The Search Continues (15 min)
   Priorities / values 
   Historical / Previous requirements for any potential space are listed here:
   Please note that those are from last year and is in need of updates--let's do that now!
   Exterior security - safety of the surrounding area
   Lease vs month-to-month rent (latter preferred)
   Kitchen / communal kitchen
   No regressions from the current space 
   Use (ask Romy or Matt for admin access)
   Tweet any space details @sudoroom
   Craigslist posting looking for friends:
   New Logos - Ryan
   Oakland Nights Live
   Cleaning up after events
   Max has volunteered to be liason between Public School and Oakland Nights Live

Action Items

Scribe: Jenny

   Bill will set up automatic reminders
   Sarah is willing to host a rave, perhaps weekly
   Review existing funding options, re-categorize, organize - Len, Matt, Marina, Jordan, Romy, Jenny
   Put your name next to specific projects that you are interested in
   Max, Jordan and sudo-sys will brainstorm on alternative ISPs
   Tommy will update fiscal solvency spreadsheet
   Membership management system - Bill and Tommy

Meeting Brief for Announce List

Scribe: Make a succinct highlights message based on the meeting minutes

==Post-Meeting Teamups / Discussion== Co-Facilitators: YOU! & ?

   Recap on IRC