[sudo-access] [sudo-discuss] Sudo Member Space Access procedure

Jake jake at spaz.org
Fri Jun 12 18:41:41 PDT 2015

Hi Niki!  I meant to respond when you sent a message like this awhile ago,
regarding someone who refused to properly close the door after opening it.

Before I talk about the technical situation, which I believe applies to
this problem, I want to try to answer your specific question.

The procedure for granting door access, when I do it, is by demonstrating
how the unlocking and re-locking procedure works, and making sure people
understand that they must re-lock the door after opening it.

But of course sometimes people will forget, or worse, actively shirk their
duty to re-lock the door.  In the latter case, if a person refuses your
request to re-lock the door they unlocked, I will electronically revoke
their access until they explain themselves at the appropriate meeting.
This would also be appropriate for people who repeatedly forget to re-lock
the door after themselves.

We have been working on the door technology a lot this last week,
improving reliability.  But we have been holding back on adding features
because I understand that we are very close to replacing the front door.
The new front door will not "unlock" and "re-lock" but will be the usual
type of door which you "buzz" open, and when it closes it locks again.

One of the features we can add in the meantime is a record of incidents
when people use their card to unlock the door, and it does not get
re-locked within 5 minutes.  If the people are not members of La Commune,
we will know to contact them for re-education.

It's my understanding that we have received a permit to replace the front
door, and that someone bottomlining that project has taken measurements.
I do not know how long it will take or who is doing it, but this is why I
have not changed the front door system to activate the doorknob instead of
unlocking the pins.  If it activated the doorknob instead, it would
automatically lock when the door closed again.  But it's a lot of work to
do considering the door will be replaced very soon.

Once again, if any person with electronic access is being irresponsible
with unlocking the door, I am willing to de-activate their card until they
come to the appropriate meeting to resolve the problem.

And I will be more pro-active in reminding people to lock the door they
open, and I will look into the access logging feature.

thank you,
-jake

On Friday, Niki wrote:

Hey friends,

Can someone point me to where the procedure for granting new Sudo member
access to the space is  (if there is one?)

The front door was left open by a Sudo member (no personal hard feelings!)
and I just want to make sure that it's being communicated to members that
the door should be closed and locked if no one is watching the front.

I am working on an orientation pamphlet for folks who are new to the space
(it's taking longer than anticipated!) so hopefully by the time we re-key,
we'll have something more tangible to provide people.

<3