[sudo-access] Keycard access for new omni office?

Jake jake at spaz.org
Sun Nov 27 15:00:52 PST 2016

OK so these RFID modules (and electric door strikes) have arrived and now it's time to wire them up and get them working as door access controls.  Ideally we will have them also do magstripe access since we're already sortof doing that for a lot of people, we should probably support both rather than forcing people to migrate one way or the other...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RC522-RFID-Module-Keychain-ID-Card-Kit-RF-SPI-13-56Mhz-USA-/152070623168

what hardware should we use as the "computer" behind each of these doors?  It should be able to talk to these RFID readers, as well as a magstripe reader ideally.  More beaglebone blacks or something else?

I wish we could use an openWRT router for door access computers, but there is no way node is going to run on them as you can see here:
https://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/howto/nodejs

maybe these doors (other than the front door) can be openWRT nodes which communicate to the front door computer for authentication, and that way all they need to do is host their RFID/magstripe reader?

who realistically has time and is able to help me make this happen?

-jake