[sudo-access] RFID & Auto Door Opener?

David Keenan dkeenan44 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 16 12:15:18 PST 2017

Awesome jake! Thanks for writing back and for all you and the access group
are doing. Roger that re: not cc'ing building list -- after this message,
I'll un-cc that list.

Yes, IMO to save time, RFID'ing the front door directly at this point is
probably worth doing, rather than piloting a mechanism first in the Omni
Office or similar -- but I'd leave that to your/access group's best
judgement.

I remember hearing about that wheelchair motor -- if it's the same one,
last I heard Robb had wanted to use it to raise/lower a projection screen
for the stage..? So I didn't think of it for this project, but if we can
use it and save ourselves some money, that's great!

I realize you may have already considered this aspect but as a DIY opener
will also need to comply with code requirements, do you think you can
design a system measurably compliant with:

- opening / closing force (<5lb) and speed (max. *N* seconds to close)
requirements throughout the swing, during automatic operation and manual
operation per ANSI/BHMA A156.19 for low-energy-operated doors, ICC A117.1,
ADA and whatever may be found in CBC?

- req'd UPS / backup battery power for opener, for *N* many operations
(need to look it up)

- compliant location of upper and lower door actuators (buttons), assume
this will be no issue

If it's helpful, here is a decent article I found that glosses the subject
of codes for low-energy openers:
http://www.constructionspecifier.com/understanding-new-accessibility-requirements-for-doors/
<http://www.constructionspecifier.com/understanding-new-accessibility-requirements-for-doors/>

Given the above, and I realize I only now just brought this up to you, but
I guess my only concern about any DIY implementation is, if you / access
group has the time to implement it relatively soon..? E.g., do you think it
might be possible to complete in the next 2-3 weeks or so..?

I realize perhaps that is an unfair question to ask before you've really
started hacking on it, but I'm also trying to be realistic and pragmatic
wrt to how busy everyone is and the understandably extended timelines of
volunteer labor in general that comprises the bulk of omni efforts --

If after reviewing the door req's, you think a DIY system is doable in the
next 2-3 wks, let me know how / when I can help hack on this and I will
follow up with you and access control group directly -- and perhaps we can
set a date to meet up about it?

Best,
David