[Bigbang-dev] BigBang: version control analysis

Sebastian P Benthall sbenthall at berkeley.edu
Tue Feb 17 16:21:22 PST 2015

Hi guys,

Just an update, mainly for Aryan's benefit since he couldn't make the
meeting today.

Ven -- please sign up for the development mailing list here, where I will
be sending emails like this in the future:

Aryan -- Ven is starting to dig into analyzing Git repositories by
unpacking the Git commit network. This is the network you see in
visualizations like these <https://github.com/sbenthall/bigbang/network>.
He's working on these tickets for next week:
https://github.com/sbenthall/bigbang/issues/135
https://github.com/sbenthall/bigbang/issues/136

What we discovered while looking at the GitRepo
<https://github.com/sbenthall/bigbang/blob/master/git_data/GitRepo.py> code
is that the Pandas dataframe does not yet have in it two kinds of data
about the commits:
 * information about which commit each commit is a descendant of in the
network. It might be the descendant of more than one commit if it is a
'merge' commit, for example.
 * the information about the 'diff' of each commit.

Could you take a look at this and see if it's feasible to add this to
GitRepo? I've made a ticket for this and assigned it to you.
https://github.com/sbenthall/bigbang/issues/137

Looking forward to seeing you both on Wednesday,
Seb