[Bigbang-dev] Standardizing notebooks with Git data

Sebastian Benthall sb at ischool.berkeley.edu
Mon Feb 23 10:42:00 PST 2015

I wanted to bring up something Aryan mentioned in this ticket in on the
subject of recent contributions by Ven and himself visualizing Git data

https://github.com/sbenthall/bigbang/issues/136#issuecomment-75007815

There are now a few different Git-related notebooks in the repository. It
would be good if we could standardize on:
 * coding patterns -- will we be creating new objects to represent Git data
or will we depend on the preprocessed Pandas dataframe? I see advantages to
either.

 * notebook idioms -- we should come up standards for what gets including
in notebooks and what gets pushed to underlying libraries so the notebooks
stay clean is possible.

 * visualization idiom -- the out-of-the-box networkx graph visualizations
are a good start but not pretty. We have some options for graph
visualization, including more artful use of what networkx/matplotlib gives
us, use of d3 within notebooks, etc. It would be cool to have a coherent
set of design principles for this.