[Bigbang-user] starting user notes

Niels ten Oever lists at digitaldissidents.org
Fri Apr 29 05:17:31 PDT 2016

Hi all,

Have been toying some time setting up BigBang now. First of all I would
like to thank you people for developing this and making it FLOSS.

Secondly I wanted to make a few short notes on the installation process
for me, working on Debian 8.0 Jessie (Stable).

Installation has been a bit of an issue because of quite a few issues
with different Python versions. There were some dependencies that could
not be resolved in Python 2.6 and 2.7 through the debian repos, so I
went with Python 3.4, which of course resulted in issues when I ran the
Python command, and not calling python3 (at several stages, most
recently in the notebooks (because imports failed)).

Probably a bit of a n00b thing, but just wanted to flag it. Will make
more notes during installation. Hope it is useful :)

Something that might be a bit more interesting is why I am actually
installing this software: I am researching prevelance and penetration of
rights language in Internet Governance forums, such as ICANN and the
IETF, which is partially based on my involved with both bodies to push
for human rights (http://icannhumanrights.net and https://hrpc.io) and
my PhD at https://data-activism.net/.

So expect more traffic and questions from me here soon.

Cheers,

Niels
--
Twitter         :   @conflictmedia
PGP fingerprint :   8D9F C567 BEE4 A431 56C4