[Bigbang-user] question + starting user notes

Niels ten Oever lists at digitaldissidents.org
Fri Apr 29 07:19:55 PDT 2016

A few more notes while installing and first usage (1 and 2), and then a
question for where I am stuck now (3).

1.
To clean things up a bit and start fresh I decided to remove my bigbang
folder. After I tried to reinstall I had quite some issues with running
pip install -r requirements.txt
especially where it came to the packages snakefood and pydot. Which is
somewhat surprising since they (1) already are installed and (2) I have
installed them before (3) and many of them are availble from the Debian
repos. I simply uncommented them from requirements.text and went ahead,
and finally simply went ahead and ran $python setup python develop.

The error messages from $sudo pip install -r requirements.txt - FYI:

Collecting snakefood (from -r requirements.txt (line 19))
Using cached snakefood-1.4.tar.gz
Complete output from command python setup.py egg_info:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "<string>", line 1, in <module>
File "/tmp/pip-build-_x_eycqn/snakefood/setup.py", line 19
except IOError, e:
^
SyntaxError: invalid syntax

Command "python setup.py egg_info" failed with error code 1 in
/tmp/pip-build-_x_eycqn/snakefood/

and

Collecting pydot (from BigBang==0.1->-r requirements.txt (line 1))
Using cached pydot-1.0.2.tar.gz
Complete output from command python setup.py egg_info:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "<string>", line 1, in <module>
File "/tmp/pip-build-5bflk4zs/pydot/setup.py", line 5
except ImportError, excp:
^
SyntaxError: invalid syntax

Command "python setup.py egg_info" failed with error code 1 in
/tmp/pip-build-5bflk4zs/pydot/

2.
I could not simply run 'source activate bigbang' as indicated in the
readme.md, I first had to run
$ virtualenv venv
and then
$ source venv/bin/activate bigbang

3.

I do not get the notebooks properly running, I have tried several but I
think this comes back (again) to Python versions because what I get when
I simply run the first line (%matplotlib inline) in 'Analyze Senders'is:

[code]

ImportError                               Traceback (most recent call last)
<ipython-input-1-e27d371d6baa> in <module>()
----> 1 get_ipython().magic('matplotlib inline')

/usr/local/lib/python3.4/dist-packages/IPython/core/interactiveshell.py
in magic(self, arg_s)
   2161         magic_name, _, magic_arg_s = arg_s.partition(' ')
   2162         magic_name = magic_name.lstrip(prefilter.ESC_MAGIC)
-> 2163         return self.run_line_magic(magic_name, magic_arg_s)
   2164
   2165
#-------------------------------------------------------------------------

/usr/local/lib/python3.4/dist-packages/IPython/core/interactiveshell.py
in run_line_magic(self, magic_name, line)
   2082                 kwargs['local_ns'] =
sys._getframe(stack_depth).f_locals
   2083             with self.builtin_trap:
-> 2084                 result = fn(*args,**kwargs)
   2085             return result
   2086

<decorator-gen-106> in matplotlib(self, line)

/usr/local/lib/python3.4/dist-packages/IPython/core/magic.py in
<lambda>(f, *a, **k)
    191     # but it's overkill for just that one bit of state.
    192     def magic_deco(arg):
--> 193         call = lambda f, *a, **k: f(*a, **k)
    194
    195         if callable(arg):

/usr/local/lib/python3.4/dist-packages/IPython/core/magics/pylab.py in
matplotlib(self, line)
     98             print("Available matplotlib backends: %s" %
backends_list)
     99         else:
--> 100             gui, backend = self.shell.enable_matplotlib(args.gui)
    101             self._show_matplotlib_backend(args.gui, backend)
    102

/usr/local/lib/python3.4/dist-packages/IPython/core/interactiveshell.py
in enable_matplotlib(self, gui)
   2937         """
   2938         from IPython.core import pylabtools as pt
-> 2939         gui, backend = pt.find_gui_and_backend(gui,
self.pylab_gui_select)
   2940
   2941         if gui != 'inline':

/usr/local/lib/python3.4/dist-packages/IPython/core/pylabtools.py in
find_gui_and_backend(gui, gui_select)
    256     """
    257
--> 258     import matplotlib
    259
    260     if gui and gui != 'auto':

/usr/local/lib/python3.4/dist-packages/matplotlib-1.5.1-py3.4-linux-x86_64.egg/matplotlib/__init__.py
in <module>()
    122 from matplotlib.cbook import is_string_like, mplDeprecation,
dedent, get_label
    123 from matplotlib.compat import subprocess
--> 124 from matplotlib.rcsetup import (defaultParams,
    125                                 validate_backend,
    126                                 cycler)

/usr/local/lib/python3.4/dist-packages/matplotlib-1.5.1-py3.4-linux-x86_64.egg/matplotlib/rcsetup.py
in <module>()
     32
     33 # Don't let the original cycler collide with our validating cycler
---> 34 from cycler import Cycler, cycler as ccycler
     35
     36 #interactive_bk = ['gtk', 'gtkagg', 'gtkcairo', 'qt4agg',

ImportError: No module named 'cycler'

Import the BigBang modules as needed. These should be in your Python
environment if you've installed BigBang correctly.

[/code]

I got similar output with other notebooks. I think this is because
python 3.4 is being called.

I tried:
$ alias python=/usr/local/bin/python2.7
and
$ ipython notebook examples/

But that does not seem to work. Any suggestions on how I can make
ipython (or the notebooks) use python2 ?

Cheers,

Niels

--
Niels ten Oever
Head of Digital

Article 19
www.article19.org

PGP fingerprint    8D9F C567 BEE4 A431 56C4
                   678B 08B5 A0F2 636D 68E9