[Biohackers] Monday 7/21 activity & followup

Rikke Rasmussen rikke.c.rasmussen at gmail.com
Thu Jul 31 15:34:07 PDT 2014

Awesome, Frank, thank you so much for the cross-pollination effort, and my
sincerest apologies for not being there in person to support said effort!

Speaking of cross-pollination, I went to the Counter Culture Labs meeting
last week - they are still very focused on building out their space and
attracting new members/projects to fill it, so they were very eager to
accommodate the Fermentation Station. That said, they do also have rent to
cover, so I made the agreement on our collective behalf that we would pony
up the cash for 2 reduced-rate memberships ($25, I believe...possibly only
$20, my notes are unclear) in return for a dedicated portion of the outer
space for our set-up.

As for SF Biohackers, Matt Harbowy (founding member and primary financial
baclker for CCL) also proposed that we could trek out to the Sunset to
check out his home lab - it could probably fit 10-12 folks in a meeting
situation, maybe 6-8 working in clusters...I've only seen it once about 6
months ago, so my memory is a little fuzzy, but it sounds like a sweet
setup, and may be worth checking out?

Last, but not least - I think we have the clear makings of 3 separate
sub-projects/groups that all tie together, focusing on 1) the gastronomical
aspects of kombucha/vinegar/beer/yogurt/kefir/etc. production (that would
looking at the correlations between environmental conditions and
chemical/flavor profiles), 2) the molecular aspects of same (such as
species identification and characterization, manipulating species
composition, looking at cellulose production, and engineering individual
species for specific chemical/nutritional/etc. profiles, and 3) the
technical development of bioreactors/cultivators for all of these awesome
microbes.

Anyhow. Sorry for being a total flake this week, will endeavor to do better
next week. See you on Monday!

/Rikke