[DisasterRadio] Next Dev Board

John Fitz johnfitzeecs at gmail.com
Tue Nov 13 23:13:20 PST 2018

Hi all,

So definitely going for ICs on board rather than modules for this next
build. The cost savings are just to great:

ESP32 $2.6 per IC vs $3.7 for module = savings ~$1
LORA $3 per IC vs $9 per module = saving ~$6 x 2 = $12
CN3791 + passives ~$1  vs $3.5 per module = saving ~$2.5,

I believe as long as we don't advertise, we can sell uncompleted boards for
home use without FCC Certification (per FCC Part 15.23).
<http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/CFR-2010-title47-vol1/pdf/CFR-2010-title47-vol1-sec15-23.pdf>

Nico: I'll definitely have pinouts for a DHT22 sensor and much more.
Rafael: A schematic/board review would be a great help. I'll notify
everyone when the board is ready for review. Maybe we can try and integrate
everything onto an IC one day...
leez: we'll definitely have to do some power consumption/efficiency testing
with new boards. Maybe we can integrate power monitoring with the lora mesh.

The new board is located in the repo here (
https://github.com/sudomesh/disaster-radio/tree/master/hardware/board_v4
),  please let me know if anyone has issues opening the board in KiCAD,

-Fitz