[DisasterRadio] How start in 2020

samuk at disroot.org samuk at disroot.org
Mon Apr 6 11:02:02 PDT 2020

> The "off grid" part, will need a good battery, small solar panel,
> sealed case of some type.

I did a BOM and a rough how-to for a LifePO4 system here:
https://hackaday.io/project/170069-disaster-radio-lora-mesh

I'm still waiting on the charge controller, but have assembled a system to the same Ah with 20w solar which is working well.

You could use Lithium ion, but in a boiling hot box on a sunny roof they may be a bit explody.

In the UK I think a 20w panel should do, with the most agressive power-saving (Underclocking to 80Mhz and only using BLE)

2p

Sam

> Once you know the power draw of the device, you can calculate the rest.
>
> Anyone know if an "electric sheep fence" unit would be enough for a
> few days of no sun operation? Those come in nice units with small
> solar panel (40W?) battery, charge controller sealed for outdoor use
> and are widely available at farm stores, no electronic skills needed,
> but probably around 100 euros is my guess.
>
> Good luck to all of us, and welcome Antoni! Please keep us updated on
> your progress, a lot of people learn.
>
> Best wishes, and stay safe.
>
> Respectfully
> Blake
>
> On Mon, Apr 6, 2020 at 12:28 PM grant <ggallo102 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hello Antoni,
>>
>> We have a list of supported development boards on our wiki
>> https://github.com/sudomesh/disaster-radio/wiki/Devices--&-Hardware
>>
>> The best board to use right now is the LILYGO TTGO v2, which you can find on ali express
>> https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000396836096.html
>>
>> The TTGO can operate at 868Mhz, which is what I believe is the correct frequency for the EU, but
>> someone who knows more can correct me.
>>
>> If you order the exact link I provided, the board should arrive pre-flashed with the disaster radio
>> firmware, though it will be an old version, so it may be best for you to learn to flash them
>> yourself, especially if you plan on deploying a lot of them.
>>
>> Also, you gave me an idea to allow configuration of the LoRa frequency through the console or web
>> gui. I'm going to open an issue for this right now,
>>
>> Thanks and let me know if there are any other question we can answer,
>>
>> -grant
>>
>> On Mon, Apr 6, 2020 at 10:00 AM <nerd at linux.pl> wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I'm not electronic man. I would like to start using disaster radio.
>>>
>>> What I must buy, I need offgrid and full autonomic device.
>>>
>>> I live in Poland. Which device is good for my country? Which band? etc.
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>> Antoni