[DisasterRadio] Wind Power

Marc Juul marc at juul.io
Wed Feb 26 03:26:50 PST 2020

On 2/26/20, samuk at disroot.org <samuk at disroot.org> wrote:
> I'd be tempted to look at Vertical Axis Wind Turbines (VAWT) as I think they
> stand a better chance of surviving storms.

They're certainly better than some of the simplistic traditional
generators, however some traditional wind generators can be rotated
out of the wind (or do so automatically if they're fancy) if speeds
get too high where the vertical models have no way to slow down. I've
seen people add centrifugal breaks to the vertical turbines so that
could be an option.

--
marc/juul