[DisasterRadio] Dev boards other than the TTGo?

sam at bristolwireless.net sam at bristolwireless.net
Sat Oct 16 12:33:39 PDT 2021

Hi Matt

> I wasn’t happy with the Lilygo customer support — they offered to give me a
> $5 coupon to keep the cameras,

That is crappy. Open a ticket on Aliexpress, they favour customers
over suppliers.

> And it isn’t worth trying to ship the devices back and wait for
> shipping+customs, especially if I pay for the shipping.

No, agreed you should keep them, and get the boards you ordered. If
you open a ticket on Ali I expect this is what will happen.

  Sorry, I know this
> isn’t the place to vent about lilygo, but I do think we need a better cheap
> option here for hardware.

As before, if you have the energy to work on this, a port to
https://store.rakwireless.com/products/rak4631-lpwan-node /
https://store.rakwireless.com/collections/wisblock-base/products/wisblock-base-board-rak19003 would be time well spent, as we'd get _considerable_ power savings over ESP32. The code linked previously is a good starting point. BeegeeTokyo may even help if you reach
out.

> For example: we couldn’t conceivably order and deploy 100 devices at a time
> if we’re worried that it will be the wrong devices, and if shipping takes 6
> weeks or longer.

TBH I don't think your experience is typical. I've seen no other
complaints on Meshtastic forums for example where they order
significant quantities.

2p

Sam