[mesh-dev] The problems with mesh-wide NAT

Marc Juul juul at labitat.dk
Sat Aug 29 04:30:19 PDT 2015

Since I've been using the mesh as my primary internet for a while now I've
been running into a few problems where people from the same hosting service
(digitalocean) have caused the IP range that includes our VPuN server to
become blocked.

These include: Wikipedia, Craiglist and Google

We can expect any IP we use to eventually become permabanned from wikipedia
and craigslist, though for wikipedia this only affects editing. Google will
more dynamically ban and unban.

There is one viable solution: Get Internet routable IPv6 addresses for all
mesh clients and try to ensure that clients use IPv6 for problematic
services.

Here's some info on how various operating systems decide whether to use
IPv4 or IPv6:

http://superuser.com/questions/403716/how-do-client-applications-know-to-use-ipv4-or-ipv6

If we can get everything working correctly on our end then we can spend our
time pestering people who block us to implement IPv6 instead of trying to
get them to unblock an open relay.

I wonder if they allow people to request specific IPv6 ranges when
applying?

  CAFE:CODE:FOOD:42:: ?

--
marc/juul