[mesh-dev] VLAN diagram attempt

Marc Juul juul at labitat.dk
Sun Jul 5 06:16:44 PDT 2015

Here's my shitty first attempt at diagram to illustrate how it all hangs
together with vlan, bridging and tunnels:

  https://i.imgur.com/B0jzM9h.jpg

Hopefully this can inform a better diagram made

The big thing in the middle is a home node. The chunky things sticking out
of it to the left are antennas. The two things on the right are extender
nodes.

The numbers are VLAN IDs. As you can see there is one VLAN for the open
network (VLAN 10), one VLAN for the private network (VLAN 11) and then one
VLAN per extender node for the mesh network (VLANs 1 and 2).

You can see that the private and public network interfaces are connected
together between wifi, ethernet, home and extender nodes by putting the
interfaces on the same VLAN (for ethernet) and then bridging to the wifi
interfaces.

The mesh network interfaces are connected together by enabling babeld on
all of them, or in the case of the connection between home and extender
nodes they are connected by being on the same VLAN.

On this diagram all three networks are available on all radios both on home
and extender nodes. This is not yet fully implemented, but it is a small
enough change that we should be able to finish it this week.

--
marc/juul