[mesh-talk] [Mesh] Fwd: Sunday Node Mounting

max b maxb.personal at gmail.com
Fri May 15 13:54:00 PDT 2015

Thanks Yar!

So I have some ideas about Sunday, but I haven't really decided on anything
yet. Here they are in more or less random order:

- Meet at Sudoroom, I show whoever is there how to flash our newest
firmware, run makenode and create a mesh node. Depending on time and how
many folks show up, we could also set up extender access points or extender
node->node radios and perhaps set up a 5ghz extender node link in the omni.
I would probably trust these folks to take those mesh nodes home with them
as I think the new rule is starting to shape up as: "if you can flash and
configure a node yourself, you can take it home and be part of the alpha
release".

- We try to get on the roof of the omni and build a connection to Will's
house. I don't really know much about the roof status, so I'd be hesitant
to go this direction unless someone else was there who was comfortable with
the roof situation. This would also require us to have the proper mounting
materials and figure out the correct mounting technique and locations for
the roof. We DO have a nanostation m5 which would be a good match for
Will's nanobridge and we could also set up a nanostation m2 which would be
an access point broadcasting internet signal to the neighborhood.

- Folks come to my house and help me set up an extender node. I have a
mynet setup in my house and nanostation m2 which I'd like to broadcast to
the neighborhood, but the mounting situation is a tiny bit tricky. Ideally
we'd have a ladder as well as some sort of materials/techniques for
following my comcast cable line back through the wall out of the house and
to the roof (so probably just those wall brackets as well as whatever it
takes to get through the wall). If we were feeling particularly ambitious,
we could set up an extender node which would face south and *perhaps* be
able to see Alex.

Just some thoughts. If no one else shows I'll probably just be hacking on
some firmware tweaks and/or setting up a mesh service at my house. Also -
send an email to the list if you want to show up. I likely won't be at
sudoroom unless I know that someone else will be there as well.