[Mesh] Hacknight Notes 1/16

Jenny Ryan tunabananas at gmail.com
Fri Jan 17 00:13:59 PST 2014

Awesome donations for the mesh today! Thanks to J Rad for the cable
and the generous cash donation, and to Daniel and Novato School
District for the server!

Notes reposted for posterity at
https://sudoroom.org/wiki/Mesh/16_January_2014

=Attendees=
*Jenny, Marc, Jeremy, Daniel, Matt, MaxB, Angelica, Mitar

=Updates=
*We now have a ~18 TB server! Thanks to Novato Unified School District
for the donation and Daniel for coordinating! RAD@!
*J Rad dropped off 1000ft of outdoor ethernet cable and $600! :o
*Marc is building a spectrum analyst machine from an OLPC + an
omnidirectional Bullet, a GPS, and portable power supply -
https://sudoroom.org/wiki/Mesh/
*Marc solved the MTU issue! (rearranged the layers :)
*Daniel spoke with a landlord who's interested in supporting the project.
*Jeremy spoke at SF New Tech on Monday! We should hack more startup
events!
*Marc's been testing the cheap TP-Link routers and made a firmware
image (minimal OpenWRT) that's a tarball that can be unzipped right
onto the router. Unfortunately, the cheapest ones are not approved by
the FCC. However, he found a bunch of better routers (eg; Western
Digital) for around $27 (plus a USB stick would be ~$35)
*Jenny presented the mesh at the Mass Effect event last Friday:
https://sudoroom.org/wiki/Mass_effect
*Upcoming EFF event in Berkeley (including Daniel Ellsberg) on Jan.
23:
https://www.eff.org/event/nsa-surveillance-and-our-almost-orwellian-state
*Mitar and friends code-sprinted on nodewatcher! -
https://github.com/wlanslovenija/nodewatcher
*Angelica's going to do music for the videos  \o/

=ToDos=
*Coordinate server pickup with Pete (Jenny)
*Make or procure antennae for the 5GHz nodes (Marc / Jake / Deekoo)
*Coordinate with the Meraki guy (Daniel & Juul)
*Connect to Angelica's friend who owns real estate in East Oakland
(Angelica/Jenny)
*Ironing out the last bugs in the firmware! (Marc / Max)
*Sync with Ralf from Internet Archive (Jenny)
*Poke Liberty until we receive real estate contact (Jenny)

=Notes=
*As router resellers, we'd be responsible for replacing them when they
break.
*Computer Networks Coursera course study group Thursdays at 6pm before
mesh!

=Gratuitous Link Dump=
*https://github.com/richo/groundstation - Project used by Byzantium
folks. From The Doctor: "It is a distributed Twitter work-alike that
uses Git for its back-end and a lightweight gossip protocol to
synchronize other instances on the network.  It presents a regular
HTTP front end (which is easily proxyable through Apache to add
SSL/TLS for data-in-motion protection) and does not require that users
create accounts to use it.  Communication channels are set up on the
server side, and users can interact with (read, post, comment) with
them from the client side."

- --
Jenny
http://jennyryan.net
http://sudomesh.org
http://thevirtualcampfire.org
http://technomadic.tumblr.com

- -Laurie Anderson

"Storytelling reveals meaning without committing the error of defining
it."
 -Hannah Arendt

- -Stéphane Mallarmé