[Mesh] Fun, installing mesh - Also: Special Attn April Glaser

pansophia pansophia at gmail.com
Mon Jun 15 09:34:29 PDT 2015

While this is something I couldn't participate in, I hope hanging out helps
me learn more about it. Perhaps next time I can help with something that
can be done down at the table such as adjust the routers?

I'm the one with questions about whether it is possible (or even wise) to
build local political relationships to boost local library wifi out into
surrounding neighborhoods. Then Mesh concepts could be used from there. I
ask because I see an opening to develop that kind of relationship and ask
for civic space goods in South Berkeley. The City is sidling up to us
because they need to show they worked with the community when they apply
for big Federal transportation grants later.

Matt and Jenny brought up some concerns about using libraries as signal
sources:

1) Library workers are unionized and will object to putting Mesh software
on their computers. They have a select set of software they have agreed to
maintain. Software conflicts may cause unanticipated conflicts and create
extra work for them.

2) Libraries block some content.

3) Libraries turn off their wifi when they close, and their hours may
change according to city budget.

I've had some fantastic opportunities lately to pursue the "boosting
library wifi" idea, but I want to make sure this is a good thing to pursue
before I do. The impression I got from a chat with Jenny yesterday is Mesh
just wasn't ready to work with the library scenario yet, but there was no
legal/political problem with discussing it. The chorus of advice is to
"bring it up with April!"

I did have a really sweet opportunity on Saturday to bring Mesh up with my
Council Member, and in the current situation it's possible those
opportunities might come up a few more times. I'd welcome any guidance
about what to do (or NOT to do) on such occasions.

~ Elisa