[Mesh] A survey of community network management solutions

Mitar mitar at tnode.com
Tue Jun 16 00:32:17 PDT 2015

Hi!

Just an answer to this. I think it is great to work with established
local communities. Libraries are great. In rural areas (at least in
Slovenia) volunteer firefighters are also great (and they have towers as
well).

The most important thing is to get across that you are not a cheap
service you are offering, but mostly you are bringing the idea and
technology, but they have to become involved. It is not that you are a
contractor which will bring free WiFi to their buildings, but you are
offering an idea of doing it together. They can join. You can tell them
how and what to do. But it is their equipment and their participation.

This is especially important when talking with municipalities. They
often want to contract somebody to deploy free WiFi for tourists. And
when you approach them it seems to them a good deal, they maybe give you
some equipment or even money, and then you will deploy it for free for
them and also maintain it and also offer quality of service they expect
from commercial providers. So, it is good to make these things clear. It
is a community effort, everyone contributes their share, and things
work. If they contribute more, great.

Mitar

http://mitar.tnode.com/
https://twitter.com/mitar_m