[Mesh] forest fire early detection system

Marc Ramsey marc at ranlog.com
Sat Feb 20 22:21:04 PST 2021

Hi Jake,

Sorry, the list software seems rather opaque.  After my original email, I did a bit more looking and found that I was years out of date 8^(

The latest sensors are called VIIRS, for Visible Infrared Imaging Radiometer Suite, which is currently carried by two NASA/NOAA polar orbiting satellites, and provides 375m resolution data for the entire planet each day.  There is a web site for the Active Fire products here:

https://viirsfire.geog.umd.edu/ <https://viirsfire.geog.umd.edu/>

It looks like archival data is available, so it should be possible to obtain imagery for past wildfires, if you’re interested.

Best regards,
Marc