[Omni-delegates] [sudo-discuss] Liberation Ministries Proposal to Omni Commons -- Matt recuses himself, seeks another delegate

Jenny Ryan tunabananas at gmail.com
Wed Sep 16 13:06:18 PDT 2015

I would think at least 2 months is reasonable, but 3 would be more fair to
LM.

Insofar as the other issues I brought up with the TV screens and the
vending machines, perhaps we could frame it as:
"One thing Omni has been working towards but could certainly use more of is
sharing food and making music together, and more instruments and
regularly-scheduled time for communing is something we're all excited
about! We're also enthusiastic about your intention to reach out to our
neighbors directly and invite them to participate.

However, some members have requested we not install the televisions in the
space as videogame consoles and movie theaters. Omni is a space for
creative and cultural production, participation and collaboration. We have
many resources available that would foster creativity and skill
acquisition, such as public computers, a film editing and post-production
studio, a community print shop, a crafty corner in the basement with art
supplies, regular film screenings using our many projection screens and
projectors, a science lab and a hackerspace full of tools and gadgets to
tinker with. Youth would be welcome to participate in any of a variety of
semi-structured weekly meetups, such as: Hardware Hack Night, Tuesdays in
sudo room; Fermentation Station, Wednesdays in CCL, Javascript Study Group,
Thursdays in SR; Linux Installfest, Fridays SR; and Sunday printmaking
workshops in MPM. We would very much welcome more youth-led activities.

Additionally, the vending machines in CCL are part of a sudo room project
in development, and we'd love your input on items we could include for
sale. See this wiki page for a list of items we're considering, such as
hygiene products and electronics kits: https://sudoroom.org/wiki/Hack-o-mat
"

But maybe that's all a bit much and we can simply have the conversation
over the course of the trial period.

Jenny

Help open a people-powered common space in Oakland, California!
https://omnicommons.org/donate

-Laurie Anderson

 -Hannah Arendt

-Stéphane Mallarmé