[Omni-delegates] [sudo-discuss] Liberation Ministries Proposal to Omni Commons -- Matt recuses himself, seeks another delegate

Jake jake at spaz.org
Wed Sep 16 22:51:14 PDT 2015

On Wed, 16 Sep 2015, yar wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 16, 2015 at 11:42 AM, Jake <jake at spaz.org> wrote:
>> that's a good question.  So far the offer to have LM do their thing without
>> a 1-year commitment has not generated a response that I know of. Have they
>> changed their mind or are you attempting to broker this on your own?
>>
>> Personally I think that we could offer them a month of Sundays to see what
>> they're like.  Perhaps you can find out if they're interested in that.
>
>> From the 8/27 notes:
> https://omnicommons.org/wiki/Event:2015/08/27_Delegates_Meeting
>
> --
> yar: would you feel comfortable with a 3 or 6 month trial period?
> cheryl: i'd have to go back to my group. having to move after 3 months
> would be disruptive. if we build we build, if we grow together we want
> to grow together.
> --
>
>> From Stephen Novotny's most recent email:
> https://omnicommons.org/pipermail/consensus/2015-September/000638.html
>
> "They feel that it’s essential for them to have a space to begin their
> work and so they must begin investing their time elsewhere if the Omni
> cannot come to at least a preliminary consensus to move forward with
> their request for space on Sunday mornings and Friday evenings."
>
> I think "preliminary consensus" means yes, a shorter trial period
> would be better than nothing. It would keep them at the table long
> enough to continue building a relationship, and if they reject this
> offer because it's not a full year, at least we come out looking
> reasonable. Even if LM doesn't end up accepting a shorter period, I
> think the symbolic weight of the Omni community consenting to this
> shorter period would go a long way in mending our community fractures
> and keep our community from falling apart.
>
> I also think 2 or 3 months would look a lot better than 1 month, which
> is only four services. Would you block 2 months?

Thank you Yar for doing all the research for me, i was not aware of that
part of the discussion.

the rest of this email was composed earlier today, but was not sent until
now, and we have already instructed our delegate to offer a four-month
period to L.M.

The following is included for the curious.

-jake

I would not block 2 months but I am concerned about stuff like this:
"Offering big flat screen TV abt 46" and a floor model big screen t.v. for
shared use and use with teens for movies, videogames etc."

I don't want to see Omni turn into a place for people to come watch
television, or play videogames.

I feel that by giving two months (which is a long time) we can get an idea
of whether this will work out in a long run or not.  But I would not want
us to commit to longer without having a more tangible idea of what their
presence will be like for Omni.

Also I want to state that I do feel strongly against all religions, and
that I feel that advocates of this group have been ignoring statements by
Omni members who feel that religion (as perpetuated according to LM's
website) is oppressive and is not in-line with our shared values.

Despite