[sudo-announce] This Sat. 5/18 at 2PM: Fix-It Day & Linux Install Day!

rusty lindgren rustylindgren at gmail.com
Thu May 16 10:49:00 PDT 2013

I can't go, because I have plans that afternoon... bummer.  I think I could
be a big help, if we do this again.

In addition to setting up these PCs, I still think we should help people
root their phones and install stock-android and have a donation box out.  I
also think we should do glass repair for iphones, and put a sign out on
broadway that says "teach yourself how to fix your iphone" and put an arrow
upstairs.  I bought tools for sudoroom to do this, and we can buy some
iphone glass.

We don't have a BEAR license, so we can't charge money for electronics or
for fixing them, but we can teach people to fix electronics, and then
recommend that they give donations.  We can also ask that people give us
donations if they take computers, but that shouldn't be a requirement.  It
should be on the honor system, and not be a way to dehumanize people.

One thing that doesn't compute for us having all these desktops is that we
don't have monitors, or peripherals for them, and just like with the rPis
email I sent, the cost for someone to buy that stuff, isn't really
practical in my opinion, unless we can track down crates of old lcd
monitors.

There is also a cost of electricity for running an older computer for us
and for other people, and to the environment, when some of that stuff is
recyclable(although I don't know what the dust to dust is on that, so I'm
not sure recycling is the only issue, but old laptops are low-power, and
more ideal for our donation-cycle).

-Rusty