[sudo-announce] This Sat. June 1st: Today I Learned: The Simple Computer

Marina Kukso marina.kukso at gmail.com
Tue May 28 21:56:18 PDT 2013

Please join us this Saturday June 1st at 2pm for the FREE workshop “*Today
I Learned: The Simple Computer*.” Perhaps you’ve heard of the 0′s and the
1′s. Perhaps you’ve heard of bits and bytes. But how do the 0′s and 1′s
tell your computer to do things? How do we go from 0′s and 1′s to lolcats
and code? How does the little box of plastic and circuits do anything at
all?

Want to have the most basic introduction to what a computer is and how it
works? We will break a computer down to its most basic concept and answer
any and all questions you will have (dumb questions, smart questions,
normal questions – all questions are welcome!).

Finally, we will take what we’ve learned and build a very simple computer!
If we have enough folks come, we will BUILD A COMPUTER OUT OF HUMANS
(WHAT?!)(YES.).

Specifically, during this “Today I Learned” workshop we will:

   - Go on a quest to make computers *as simple as possible*. Intro to
   computer science. Understand how computers work!
   - Cover binary math and boolean logic
   - Make half & full adders made of water, marbles, rocks, dominos, people…
   - Build a very simple computer with 64 bytes of memory and 4 instructions

*This workshop is part of the series “Today I Learned,” a series of free
workshops that take place every Saturday at 2PM at Sudo Room, a creative
community and hackerspace in downtown Oakland. Check out the full schedule
at http://sudoroom.org/wiki/Today_I_Learned and please forward widely.*