[sudo-discuss] .se to .sx (was mashing up music?)

Steve Berl steveberl at gmail.com
Sat Aug 10 15:38:29 PDT 2013

Are you asking why do we use the Domain Name System (DNS)?

The domain naming is a way to create an administrative hierarchy for the
assignment of names to destinations (IP addresses) on the Internet. It
allows a naming authority (a person or organization that has been assigned
a name), to control allocation of names below that point in the hierarchy.
So when you are the "owner" of sudoroom.org, the organization that controls
.org has delegated to you all names that end in .sudoroom.org. You can pick
whatever names you want and put them in front of the . in ".sudoroom.org",
and you everyone can know that that "Fully Qualified Domain Name" will not
conflict with any name assigned by anything else. So now you don't have to
ask anyone outside of sudoroom whether "door.sudoroom.org" or "
flubix.sudoroom.org" are available to use.

I'd recommend reading the wikipedia article on the history of DNS at
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Domain_name_system.

If your "prior connection to sudo-network" means something like editing the
/etc/hosts file on your computer with a text editor, then welcome back to
1980 :-)

-steve

On Wed, Aug 7, 2013 at 8:21 AM, J Clark <hello at sl-co.com> wrote:

> All domain names are symbolic and by nature represent puppet "governance"
> structures. While there are likely good reasons for choosing the rules of
> .sx over rules of .se (and their ecosystems), the larger question is how to
> reach our personal networks without these intermediary and interpretive
> dances. Why can't I send a note, for example, to
> Anthony-Di-Franco-of-sudo-network, where I have established some prior
> connection to sudo-network?
>
> On Aug 6, 2013, at 9:14 PM, Anthony Di Franco <di.franco at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Completely unrelatedly, what do people think about the general
> implications of the pirate bay moving from a .se domain to a .sx?

-steve