[sudo-discuss] [CCL] Tekla Labs is about to launch a DIY Lab equipment contest

Ryan Bethencourt ryan.bethencourt at gmail.com
Wed Aug 21 17:28:14 PDT 2013

Jake, how difficult do you think that would be to design this thin
alumnimum skin? Sounds like a great idea if we can easily get it ordered at
Pomko or Shapeways. I like the idea of mostly hollow and being able to 3D
print the design!

*Marc *- what do you think, shall we test it out?

On Wed, Aug 21, 2013 at 4:44 PM, Jake <jake at spaz.org> wrote:

> I think part of the problem with that is that if you want to make your
> openPCR do the job in a reasonable time frame, you need to be able to
> thermally cycle your fluids rapidly.
>
> every bit of material you have that is thermally connected to the PCR
> vials and heating/cooling apparatus is thermal mass that you need to swing,
> which makes your energy demand greater on your heat pump, and/or slows down
> your PCR time.
>
> that's why the best material for touching the vials will likely be a thin
> skin of aluminum, shaped like inverted cones on one side and flat surfaces
> on the other side, but mostly hollow.  Such a shape would be designed in
> openSCAD, modeled with a 3D printout, and either cast at OMI or Jim's or
> Bernards, or more likely ordered as a metal print from Pomoko or Shapeways
> or something.
>
> unless you don't care about PCR time, in which case yes, you can make your
> own thermal manifold out of a block of aluminum or lead.
>
> -jake
>

> Aug 21, 2013 01:58:57 PM, patrikd at gmail.com wrote:
>
>> Hi Hol,
>>
>> Why don't you guys use Hackteria's drill bit to drill the wells in the
>> aluminum heat block? They designed and ordered a custom bit specifically to
>> match the 17.5 degree cone angle used in OpenPCR, and they're willing to
>> let other groups borrow it. Perfect example of leveraging the global DIY
>> community!
>>
>> http://hackteria.org/wiki/**index.php/Wild_OpenPCR<http://hackteria.org/wiki/index.php/Wild_OpenPCR>
>>
>> Simon Field on the DIYbio list suggested a while back to cast the heat
>> block from a lower-melt alloy. That's potentially something that anyone
>> with a hot plate could achieve, and you could even use your own favorite
>> PCR tubes to make a perfectly fitting mold.
>>
>> Patrik

Ryan Bethencourt

Tel: (415) 825 2705
Conf Call: (650) 741 5013