[sudo-discuss] [CCL] Tekla Labs is about to launch a DIY Lab equipment contest

Hol Gaskill hol at gaskill.com
Wed Aug 21 17:32:58 PDT 2013

Hi Jake,

I haven't crunched the numbers yet, have you?  I can assure you aluminum is generally a great material for heatsinks and sheds heat very quickly.  I've done butt welds on 1/2" aluminum plate that were cool to the touch by the time I took my glove off.  It has about a quarter the heat capacity of water so will pass on heat very quickly.  I would start with aluminum strip unless you have some gold or silver you want to donate.  The tooling and the machine are both available, and it's also incredibly easy to machine and may not even require coolant depending on the cut, for the same reason noted above, and has a pretty low melting temperature easily attainable with a blowtorch.  So it's a good material for the application, can be machined easily to the desired shape, and if testing shows that the amount of material required for the machined version has too much thermal mass for the wattage we think is reasonable, going the next step and casting it will not require too much specialized equipment other than a pattern, some casting sand, a crucible, and a blowtorch.  I'm not sure what the cost would be to have these things printed in sufficient resolution, or how the 3D printing process affects the porosity and thermal properties of the part.  The presence of air between the peltier element and the wells would be more likely to insulate, probably more than offsetting your thermal mass savings.

Cheers,
Hol

I think part of the problem with that is that if you want to make your