[sudo-discuss] Javascript meetup folks

Aaronco Thirtysix aaronco36 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 19 10:50:46 PST 2013

On Mon, Feb 18, 2013 at 11:08 PM, William Turner <wturner76 at gmail.com>wrote:

> ..... possibly interact online outside of the meetings IE share code,
> ideas, projects and built a rapport. I have a project I'm doing for people
> interested in audio & Javascript here
> http://interactiveaudio.wikiaudio.org . It's a (slow-moving) tutorial
> series & I'm still learning and code every day...... I have extensive
> knowledge of audio as well as an increasing understanding of *web audio*.
> Please reach out 510 816 2816.

..... I would like to possibly do a small one on web audio as well as
> suggest a few on more complicated concepts like closures and design
> patterns.

Less interested in a Javascript session focusing on *web audio *and/or the
more complicated js concepts myself, but flexibly open-minded on more
_Introductory_ Javascript Monday night sessions --- as long as the "catchup
pace" with others isn't TOO daunting! :-)

> For anyone interested the best way to learn Javascript online (in my
> opinion) that I've found thus far is this
> http://javascriptissexy.com/how-to-learn-javascript-properly/
>
> - W

According to this javasriptissexy link (and I quote):
~~~ quoting ~~~
And do not try to learn the language by using only Codecademy, because
while you will know how to program bits of very small JavaScript tasks, you
absolutely will *not* have learned enough to build modern web applications.
Why learn only a tenth of the language, it is a waste of your time. I do
recommend Codecademy below as a supplemental learning resource, however, to
use along with specific chapters from the two JavaScript books you will be
using.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just curious; For someone more Introductory-level like myself, why WOULDN'T
one wish to wade into the js waters by using Codecademy --- as opposed to
diving into the deep end with Secrets of the Javascript Ninja and/or
javasriptissexy's purchase-suggested books --- notwithstanding author
Richard Bovell's claims to the contrary???!!! And BTW, this particular
person is already proceeding quite well thank you through the Web
Fundamentals <http://www.codecademy.com/tracks/web> Track on Codecademy...
including completion of chapter 8 (Build a Webpage)

And WHY NOT go through the WebPlatform.org js tutorials at
http://docs.webplatform.org/wiki/javascript/tutorials ??

Just curious is all.
TYIA,
-A