[sudo-discuss] FUD around Lockpicking class

Anon195714 anon195714 at sbcglobal.net
Thu Feb 28 11:06:24 PST 2013

Hi Eddan-

So was Ace asserting some kind of copyright or other IP control over the
correlations between the key codes and the locks?   That's funny: like
copyrighting the names & numbers in the phone book;-)

What kind of lawful right would Ace have had to control those codes?  I
don't see any.

Classic case of "security by obscurity" in the face of the data being
openly available to anyone who just looks.  That plus Ace not having
adequate steps in place to verify the identity of people asking for
duplicate keys ("security by laziness";-).  (As if any burglar is going
to order keys and wait a week to get them, when smashing a window
provides instant gratification?)

Meanwhile, it's since been demonstrated that Ace locks and other tubular
locks of same size, are tremendously easy to pick with a tool anyone can
make from a Bic pen housing.

To my mind the main value of learning to pick locks is to become more
aware of one's own security environment: particularly the degree to
which we very often depend on crappy locks, and then, with the
newly-acquired situational awareness about locks, the degree to which we
very often leave open all manner of other security holes in our physical
surroundings.  Nothing says "replace your front door lock now!" like
being able to pick it with two paper clips in less than a minute.  And
then you look at the big window right next to the front door... and the
un-shredded bills you put in the recycle bin with your name & account
numbers all over them... and the valuables in the back seat of your
car... etc.

Next is the ability to get into places one has auth to be in: such as
when one locks oneself out of one's own house or car (or in my case, PBX
room on client site after hours, blush...).

Equally is the ability to do likewise for friends (have done that a
handful of times).

And from that, the generalization to our entire subculture, of the
degree of security awareness we should have all the time.

Picking locks is like being able to disassemble, clean, and reassemble a
firearm: that skill does not make a law-abiding person start
contemplating committing murders.  But it might make one start to think
more about personal safety on the streets at night.

Lastly, I'll fess up to something.  I think it's cool as hell when
people who ordinarily hack around with software, start hacking around
with _mechanical_ stuff.  I'm bigtime in favor of people learning how to
hack around with _mechanical_ stuff.  "Physical layer" as new
playground.  To this list add your home appliances (the ones with motors
in 'em) and rotary dial phones, but that's another topic for another day.

TTYs-

-G.

=====