[sudo-discuss] [Noisebridge-discuss] Announcement - RockIT CoLabs

J.C. r33lmm at gmail.com
Tue Jul 9 14:49:17 PDT 2013

HACKER ON-SITE REPORT FOLLOWS

Last week I made a visit to RockIT CoLab, a co-working/makerspace,
following an invitation to hackers, and noisebridge in particular, by
Darren Overby. The space is comprised of 3 floors, one at ground level, one
above, and one below. The street level entry is a small room/lobby that is
being equipped primarily for electronic supplies, such as components and
kits that will be available for purchase.

The upstairs is the main co-working space with a few tables for working and
a couch/lounge area. There's room for a handful to say a dozen of people to
work comfortably. There's internets, a copy machine, some computers and a
large screen.

The downstairs is makerspace oriented with a center grouping of workbenches
for soldering and small projects. There are also separate spaces for a 3D
printer, vinyl cutter and mill.

This place is not a "hackerspace", however as I understand it, is
intentionally designed to be hacker friendly, and after having spent some
time talking to Darren, there are a number of opportunities. While the main
space is targeted at those able to spend $10/day to $200/month, there is
also a commitment to make the space available to host free classes to
anyone interested. Also those willing to contribute skills/time to the
space can likely work something out as well.

I plan to start working out of the space from time to time, and anyone
interested in seeing or talking about the space can get in touch with me
directly and I can arrange to meet with you and show you the space.

General info about the space here: http://www.rockitcolabs.com/

-J.C.
[l00nie-crew]
Hacker Ambassador