[sudo-discuss] lockers

Hol Gaskill hol at gaskill.com
Fri Jul 12 14:07:26 PDT 2013

from what i've seen of the mycelia documentation, it seems like just the type of tool i've been grasping for.  will help however i can with the coding / db schema development.

i think the cubbies are good where they are now for the time being but there doesn't seem to be much turnover of the contents, my perpetually disassembled dehumidifier being one of the culprits.  Do we need to bring in more shelving or should we assemble and install the shelving we have?

one of the big things that i love being there but we're not really using is the CNC router.  this thing is so useful but it just doesn't get used!  electricjack (who is lending it to the space) came and did a run through for me and matt - matt documented it on the wiki, but we just don't have the critical mass of people with the institutional knowledge to keep it busy.  If we chipped in for a laser, it could be mounted where the spindle is for CNC laser cutting.  there are going to be alot of cases where we have so much cool stuff that we have to make tough decisions based on what it actually being used.

I also noticed a literal shit ton of unused vertical space in the server/beer/mushroom closet, and as far as I know the space above the sudo radio pod is mostly empty.  people who work on sudo sys - would it be helpful if we build some rackmount shelving to hold that up off the ground?  it can be done cheaply with 2X4s.

should we try to pull some stuff that looks like it won't be used at all, like broken monitors and generally broken or awkward items, take some pictures of the assembled pending deletions, and send them out to the list to give people a chance to veto removal of specific items?  I'd like to see us processing more of this stuff.  I've been scouring for plumbing, valves, actuators, etc to use in *slightly* more useful configurations.  maybe we can shepherd some items to more specific interest groups.  there's a tradeoff between retaining a multidisciplinary complement of tools, and having so much equipment that the space is not usable for big projects anymore, especially if there is more than 1 group there.

also, i will get the mini ecosystem / fly breeding operation out of the sink area this weekend!  if anybody wants some water hyacinth for a water garden, feel free to grab one of the smaller ones, just leave the 2 big ones since those are my plant mommies.  morten and i were talking about doing an elevated spiral hydroponics garden around the perimeter of the skylight, but that's a ways off unless someone has a bunch of 3-6" diameter PVC handy.

happy friday