[sudo-discuss] Statistics through Doodles this Saturday at 2 pm

Thomas Levine occurrence at thomaslevine.com
Thu Jul 18 18:45:14 PDT 2013

As documented on the wiki, I'm going to teach statistics through doodles.
https://sudoroom.org/wiki/Today_I_Learned#July_20:_Statistics_through_doodles:_Geometric_computations_of_fundamental_statistical_concepts

With the help of some doodles on paper (or possibly the floor),
I'll will explain the purpose and meaning of various measures of the
relationships between different variables (specifically covariance,
variance, correlation and least-squares regression).

This class assumes literally no knowledge of math, not even basic
arithmetic. But I'll try to skip things that people already know
as not to bore everyone.

For the symbolically inclined, I can relate the doodles to the symbols
you might have seen in an introductory statistics course.

I've done this a few times, so I have enough of a mental script that
I'd like to video it and put it on the website. I'll bring a camera.
It would be awesome if someone could bring a tripod or if someone
held my camera for part of the session. Or we could make a
tripod-alternative out of some wood, a small tripod from the closet
and some duct tape.

Tom