[sudo-discuss] Breaking: Oakland to lead country in, diverting anti-terror funding to ubiquitous warrantless surveillance

Shawn Lesniak moderkaka at gmail.com
Tue Oct 15 15:20:25 PDT 2013

On 2013-10-15 15:11, GtwoG PublicOhOne wrote:

> So is the objection to ubiquitous microphones, the closed software that
> controls them, the fact that they might be turned on without peoples'
> knowledge, or the fact that the police can use them to listen to what's
> nearby...?
>
> And, how does that description differ from a "smart"phone?

yes, somewhat yes, yes, yes

The description differs because the use of cell phones as roving
wiretaps is believed to be somewhat rare at this point because users can
use wireshark or a cell signal detector to see if anomalous amounts of
data are being transmitted.  The look of Shotspotter is a secret and
afaik we can't even know exactly where they are for that reason.

Moreover, the ownership of a smart phone is voluntary and provides
advantages to the owners whereas Shotspotter is thrust upon us and it is
not obvious how to avoid it.