[sudo-discuss] Giovanni has been banned from the list

GtwoG PublicOhOne g2g-public01 at att.net
Thu Oct 31 03:08:03 PDT 2013

IMHO that seems excessively harsh.  Banning someone from the list is
similar enough to banning them from the space, that it seems to me such
things entail a collective action by the community rather than an
administrative action or unilateral action by e.g. a list admin or
someone with keys to the door.   Spambots and overt criminals are one
thing, but people who are merely annoying in some way are another.

Really:  With all the talk about anarcho-this and collectivist-that and
consensus-the-other-thing, seems to me that unilaterally banning someone
for being merely annoying is a pretty major contradiction to core
principles.

If you or someone else wants to ban someone from the list or the space,
aside from emergencies such as bots and criminals, there are
dispute-resolution processes in place for that.

So I'm going to stick my neck out and ask that you reinstate him on the
list, and initiate the use of whatever collective processes exist for
resolving the issues you have with him.

-G

=====