[sudo-discuss] Giovanni has been banned from the list

GtwoG PublicOhOne g2g-public01 at att.net
Thu Oct 31 10:11:00 PDT 2013

Pete makes a number of good points, as do Eddan et. al.

But as for a temporary ban on Giovanni, no, not after the way this thing
played out so far, unless someone wants to make it a self-spiting irony
by banning him until 14 November (the FCC filing deadline).

This is about power and about consistency with principles, and this is
also about justice for individual members.  The dysfunctional "come one,
come all" problem at NoiseBridge is a different issue for a different
discussion.

We've just had days of discussion about restraining Board members even
to the point where someone proposed not allowing them to post on other
public sites that they were on the Board, lest that be "mis-interpreted"
to mean that they have some kind of "authority."

Then _this_ happens.

Yes, running a listserv is a lot of work.  Having legal responsibility
for a 501 nonprofit is a lot of work too, so what kinds of unilateral
powers shall Board members have?

List admins should be able to exercise unilateral power in emergencies,
such as overt spammers, threats and other overt criminal behavior, bot
attacks, etc.  Beyond that, they should be expected to bring non-urgent
cases to some kind of collective process, same as anyone else.

And for all positions that have effective power, "authority" ought to be
defined to mean "delegated authority" including "not to exceed the
limits of the authority that is specifically delegated."

Unless there's more to the story than a handful of "annoying" posts to
the list, Giovanni deserves to be un-banned ASAP, also deserves an
apology from the group as a whole at the next meeting (collective power
= collective responsibility), and then anyone who has an issue with him
is welcome to use whatever collective processes exist to solve it.

-G

======