[sudo-discuss] Meeting Notes 8/6

Jenny Ryan tunabananas at gmail.com
Fri Aug 8 17:47:19 PDT 2014

Apologies for the delay. Meeting notes from this week!

tl;dr:

ANNOUNCEMENTS:

   - Sudo sponsoring event with Critical Resistance on September 20th w/
   Cece McDonald
   - Startup weekend Sept 12-14 - 50% discount codes - talk to Brendan...
   or just use 'sudoroom'. Free food! $25!
   - Next Newbie Night: Wednesday, August 13th, 5-8pm hosted by Juul & Jake!

NEW MEMBERS!
...up for 'extended pondering' this week. Please reply if you have any
objection to these new members!

   - Timothy
      - Why do you want to be a member? Likes working with other people,
      would be nice to work here
      - What are you excited to do at sudo room? Hacking on his own stuff,
      open source, perhaps collaborators?
      - What do you hope to share with Sudo Room? Pair programming, sudo
      web infrastructure, doesn't do php really (mostly ruby)
      - Hasn't been banned from a hackerspace!
   - Boyd
      - Why do you want to be a member? I like this new movement for
      hacktivism around the world and making things that already exist work
      better.
      - What are you excited to do at sudo room?  I'm not very good with
      code, but I think it'd be cool if I was. Found out about sudo from
      Andrew/backspace, used to come to the leather workshop. Moved close by,
      interested in the mesh. Scarred by previous Comcast employment.
      Democratizing internet access. Likes climbing and being handy
      - What do you hope to share with Sudo Room? Sharing excitement and
      enthusiasm.
      - Has not been kicked out of a hackerspace, that they know of.
      - Grew up in the midwest. Cops were nice there and gave you ice cream
      for wearing your bike helmet.
      - Really wants to see the robot do cool things.

CONFLICT RESOLUTION:
(via Hol):
1. No conclusive evidence found to support accusation based on review of
available info over 2 weeks. Whatever we do now sets the precedent for
future cases - person who brought the matter up (daniel) is OK to allow
Phil back in. Felt it was his duty to speak up since the concern had not
been proactively addressed by Phil.

2. Further research continues as to nature of threat to privacy and risk of
disruption from outside groups with ill intentions. Sudoers interested in
the topic of entities related to this accusation, particularly the DAC,
should feel free to get in touch and assist with research.

3. Consensus is a process susceptible to disruption. We should think about
cases when it is better to fork into parallel paths to avoid gridlock, and
consider ways to amend our policies to become structurally hardened against
this type of attack. In some cases, it may seem that consensus on an item
has been reached when discussion is still warranted, and dissenting views
may trigger accusations of intentional disruption. People may have
conflicting views or different approaches socially, legally, etc. Emphasize
respect for different points of view while keeping an eye out for
intentional disruption. Need to be able to handle and attenuate disruption
whether intentional or unintentional.

Meeting minutes recorded for posterity at:
https://sudoroom.org/wiki/Meeting_Notes_2014-08-06

Jenny
http://jennyryan.net
http://thepyre.org