[sudo-discuss] Electrical detail draft

Jake jake at spaz.org
Sun Aug 17 21:31:06 PDT 2014

Hi Whit,

Sorry I didn't write back to your previous post!  I am super glad you're
here, your skills are exactly what is needed.  I would say that you have
more experience running pipe and wire and installing outlets than I do, so
I will call you the lead on making this happen.

I looked at the attached PDF (I hope you saw the spreadsheet I made too)

and I think that your map is very complete.  I had been thinking of about
half as many outlets, but you are right to suggest we do the job right the
first time, rather than rushing to get it done.

That said, if we find ways to leave some outlets for later (after the
upcoming fire inspection) we should keep in mind that the priority right
now is to eliminate use of extension cords, and do so ASAP.  We can always
add more service later.

As for service levels, I believe the standard 20 amp breaker for each leg
of outlets (shared by two boxes of two duplex sockets each) will be plenty
for all outlets.  we will not be running more than one 20A circuit worth
of servers or anything else, and the only high-power users are temporary
things like occasional power tools.

About the robot:  the breaker labeled for it (in the middle on the right,
at the balcony panel) is connected right now!  you can see the wire
running down to its control box.  It is "temporary" but has been very
important in working on the robot to figure out what we need next.

I would like for us to add service (red black white and green) to the area
you listed as "Plug J" for the robot, since it will be located there
according to consensus.  The building does not have 3-phase power though,
so I will be doing some electronics magic to make the thing run anyway.

I looked into the hanging outlets phenomenon (the ceiling beams are pretty
high in sudoroom) and I don't think we should hang extension cords.. are
you familiar with the "correct" way to make power drops?  I believe one is
supposed to use twist-lok cord-mounted sockets on tension-rated cords,
grabbed by special strain reliefs when they leave the junction boxes high
up.  Then one can make regular outlet boxes with twist-lok plugs to
connect to the hanging service.. but i really don't know what's "right".

Anyway, since you're the lead on this project, please let us (sudoroom and
the omni) know what your budget is (consider editing the spreadsheet I
made) and when you are available to start.  Also, please tell us how many
helpers you want and when, and what skills are desirable.

I volunteer myself both for electrical work (i do have those skills) and
for helping coordinate other volunteers.  I can also help get supplies,
when we know exactly what to get.

After we complete the installation, we will hire a professional
electrician to inspect our work and sign off on it, so we can be partially
reimbursed by the landlord.

thank you
-jake
415-533-3699