[sudo-discuss] budget and finances

hol at gaskill.com hol at gaskill.com
Mon Aug 18 10:39:54 PDT 2014

hi folks,

there was an issue this week at the omni meeting of not being able to
consense on paying some bills/upcoming costs. one possible solution to
the impasse would be create a budget for general omni improvements that
do not require full consensus by all the collectives, maybe 2/3 or
whatever is the standard. this could be say $500/mo (totally random
figure) for the first few months then drop down to some smaller amount
once all the move-in is done. the omni is definitely in need of working
capital right now and something like this could reduce the uncertainty
and overhead in authorizing work that people generally agree needs to be
done, but that might be burdensome to handle via an iterative consensus
process. the flipside of this would be that any work above this budget
limit would need to come back for consensus if the budget is blown. my
hope would be that other collectives make similar commitments to an omni
general budget if sudo prototypes the arrangement. it might also give us
an opportunity to look at our own budget and see if we're on the right
track, assess how much we are able to contribute, and generally plan for
the future. does that make sense?

we will be having an omni finances meeting tuesday evening and i
encourage people interested in this subject to participate, especially
those who feel they have some unique skills to lend to the effort. we
will be looking at all the capital outlays for the next few months so
should have a better figure to work with in the next 36 hours.

cheers,

hol