[sudo-discuss] event proposal

refugia refugia at zoho.com
Fri Aug 29 16:51:36 PDT 2014

I'm looking to organize a farm hack event in February. Would sudo want to host it? It would be full day event, probably on a Saturday with 30-60 people. Farmhacks are are always free to attend but I would like to support the space financially.

I'm thinking that it would be part hackathon and part hands on skill share with various presentations and discussions throughout the day.

http://farmhack.net/tools

Saludos,
Patrick
What are the core elements of the FarmHack culture?
 Biology before steel and diesel, software before hardware – is there a way to approach this problem by using biological systems that add to soil health – such as cultural practices like cover cropping, mulching, crop or animal rotations etc, is there an approach that eliminates hardware through greater systems understanding?
Holistic approach – does this tool make me enjoy working with it as much as getting the job done faster?
Designed to empower owner of tool to use, modify and improve – different from industrial tools which user does not own in the sense that there are aspects of the tool that are inaccessible to the user. If you can not modify a tool you do not really own it, but are just borrowing it from the system that created it.
Designed for transparent function – functional components are clearly laid out and purpose is clear.
Modularity – functions can be removed and replaced without reengineering entire tool. Tool function can be changed by adding or subtracting parts.
Adaptability- tools can be used for many functions and can be changed to new functions easily.
Design for Disassembly – modularity/if welded easy access to joint for cut/ no hidden bolts/ exposed bearings/belts/ Belt and chain tensioners have enough play to enable easy removal
Universal couplers/fastener spacing – use of standard quick connects for electronics/hydraulics/air lines/power take offs
Design with replicability in mind -- Could this part be recreated in a farm shop in a small town – Use of common dimension materials. for example design for welded and machined parts rather than castings
Use of “off the shelf” or commonly available components, or components that are or can be re-purposed – can a more easily sourced part do the job as well?