[sudo-discuss] [omni-discuss] physical security working group?

Patrik D'haeseleer patrikd at gmail.com
Wed Dec 3 16:06:05 PST 2014

Yes, we probably should start thinking about some of these things. I'm
CC'ing sudo as well, since they may be able to help out with some of the
technological solutions.

A couple ideas I've mulled over in the past:

- Tags for equipment that shouldn't leave the building, a scanner at the
door that can detect them when they do, and a camera to record who's taking
it through the door. Could be combined with Marc's inventory system, of
course. (And could also be used to check out tools legitimately...)

- Motion or IR controlled lights to discourage stowaways (would need to be
sufficiently hard to disable). Plus maybe an overview panel (physical or
online) showing where and when movement was last detected in the building,
to assist people in closing up for the night.

- Lights illuminating the new bike parking when it gets installed

- Indoor bike parking with some form of access control (swipe card?)

- Equip outside doors with an alarm that starts beeping when the door stays
propped open for more than x minutes.

- How much video surveillance are we as a community willing to tolerate? Is
there an acceptable tradeoff between enhancing personal and property
safety, and respecting privacy? A static and well-advertized camera trained
at a piece of valuable infrastructure may be OK. A building-wide
surveillance system that can track people from room to room with facial
recognition presumably isn't OK. Can we agree on where that boundary lies?

- Put up signs to remind people that they are being video taped from the
apartment building across the intersection. That's a useful PSA for our own
community anyway.

Patrik