[sudo-discuss] [omni-discuss] physical security working group?

yar yardenack at gmail.com
Wed Dec 3 16:26:05 PST 2014

On Wed, Dec 3, 2014 at 4:06 PM, Patrik D'haeseleer <patrikd at gmail.com> wrote:
> - How much video surveillance are we as a community willing to tolerate? Is
> there an acceptable tradeoff between enhancing personal and property safety,
> and respecting privacy? A static and well-advertized camera trained at a
> piece of valuable infrastructure may be OK. A building-wide surveillance
> system that can track people from room to room with facial recognition
> presumably isn't OK. Can we agree on where that boundary lies?

I'm never comfortable with any kind of video surveillance. If it's
just pointed at a machine in the corner of CCL or something I wouldn't
make a fuss, but if it's recording common areas or access routes I
would. Whether we run facial recognition is moot - if a digital image
exists, it will be run through facial recognition software sooner or
later. That's life in the botnet of things.

We should also note that La Commune has already been facilitating
conversations for their own security needs, which right now means
locking up bookshelves when they close the store. It would be really
good if we could help them ASAP.