[sudo-discuss] SudoKit first draft ->>>>

Romy Ilano romy at snowyla.com
Sat Dec 20 22:38:45 PST 2014

Hi I've posted more of the first draft of the SudoKit learning box.
It is intended to be a collaborative project, with an emphasis on making
stuff fun and cool to irreverent teens and weird adults

https://sudoroom.org/wiki/SudoKit#First_Draft

SudoKits First Draft

Small animals, kids, and adults start out holding a pretty box full of
SudoKit stuff. It holds learning placemats, shadowbox tool placemats, and
small useful charms like an hourglass to measure time spent offline while
learning stuff (internet addiction is a big problem)
How to use

[image: sketch for the SudoKit mats. Help curious souls make sense of the
infinite possibilties]
<https://sudoroom.org/wiki/File:SudoKit_Sketch_-_the_mats.png>
Box of Stuff

[image: Lots of things to keep us in the material world, not just the
digital world. we learn by touching and talking and doing.]
<https://sudoroom.org/wiki/File:SudoKit_full_of_stuff.png>

   - Material SudoKit keeps people from spending too much time in an
   abstract, social media world while at the SudoRoom
   - Touching and holding things is important for learning, especially for
   folks who don't enjoy book learning.
   - It's debatable whether people have skills in learning in some ways but
   hackerpsaces emphasize learning by doing, and having a set of things to
   touch and hold is proven to work with other inspiring projects
   - Various members can contribute and will have fun recycling stuff and
   creating beautiful learning kits - this is extensible

Placemats

There are multiple sets of these and placed inside the sudokit. people take
them out and put them down at a tablespace. the idea is that they don't
have to deal with the "blank page" problem when first walking into
SudoRoom. there is a starting point. [image: first draft of the placemats]
<https://sudoroom.org/wiki/File:First_Draft_SudoKit_Placemat.png>
Time Offline

[image: how can we make it fun and rewarding for people to limit their
internet addiction?]
<https://sudoroom.org/wiki/File:Tracking_time_spent_offline.png>

Vast treasure trove of the internet has an inherent danger. People can go
online to learn about creating vegan shoes, but then be distracted by
philosophy papers or softcore porn. I haven't figure it out yet, but there
must be a fun way to help people enjoy styaing offline if they see the
benefits. It would be cute to have a small hourglass that they can put on
the placemat... a personal contest of staying offline? Some people will
naturally object and say that staying online is what they want to do. But
what if you aren't coding? do you need to be that plugged in? this idea is
still pretty nebulous and would need some help.
Tool Shadowboxing

[image: Keep your tools]
<https://sudoroom.org/wiki/File:Shadowboxing_wutang_style.png>

With electronics there is so much stuff people can easily be overwhelmed.
One of the placemats should have a "shadowbox" like they use in factories.
FuturePrototypes

*watch the animals learn*

[image: printing more SudoKits with the 3D printer]
<https://sudoroom.org/wiki/File:3D_Printing_Dogs.png>

*More coming soon.*
Navigation menu

   - Page <https://sudoroom.org/wiki/SudoKit>