[sudo-discuss] [CCL] Re: SEM microscope

Jake jake at spaz.org
Wed Dec 24 19:52:57 PST 2014

On Wed Dec 24 Benjamin Rupert wrote:
> Besides Cindy's concerns, we will also need a supply of liquid nitrogen.
> The detectors are liquid nitrogen cooled and need to be replenished
> daily on most instruments.

this only applies to an SEM using a Hyper Pure Germanium (HPGe) detector
such as we would be using for EDS.  Regular SEMs use a photomultiplier
tube which does not use liquid nitrogen at all.

If we are lucky enough to get an SEM with a HPGe detector (or if we fit
one on there like the one I got from Urban Ore) we can plan ahead for
"science days" when we have our samples ready to analyze, and we can bring
in a quart of liquid nitrogen to last the day while we play with the
machine.

It's not a big deal.  The only issue that's stopping me is the distance.

-jake