[sudo-discuss] SEM microscope

CindyB notcindybnot at gmail.com
Wed Dec 24 08:55:11 PST 2014

Environmental vibration and EMI will limit the ability of whatever scanning
electron, confocal or scanning tunneling system you put in the building.
Look for the environmental vibration specs of the equipment you want to
consider. For example:
http://fbodaily.com/archive/2004/09-September/02-Sep-2004/FBO-00661968.htm
It's a bit of an ugly format but a bit down the page is a list of frequency
and magnitude limits under which the JEOL 6400 system operates to spec and
defines proper vibration isolation. The high magnification systems may not
be able to have sufficient vibration isolation without a very expensive
facilities upgrade depending on the floor underpinnings. Trains, motor
vehicles on nearby roads and possibly even people walking in the building
can transmit vibration that limits the ultimate resolution.

Likewise, clean power is essential. Power line conditioning that removes
unspec'd frequencies is required or you will never get the system stable
enough to hold focus to image or analyze.  At least in the past, JEOL was
not that good at making their system fit into less than stellar laboratory
conditions. Likewise, you will want to be careful about through-the-air
electromagnetic interference from things like power lines, etc. The 60Hz
frequency from power lines throws a magnetic field through the air that
will generate a beat pattern in the images. This will limit the minimum
accelerating voltage you can use without interference.

Next to the Tesla coil? A Tesla coil creates a magnetic field which will be
transmitted through the air to interfere with the electron beam of the SEM.
Other things that throw off magnetic fields like transformers, anything
that spins or vibrates deliberately like vortexer, centrifuge, orbiters,
etc. will throw off magnetic fields, too.

Environmental and power considerations are going to make or break the
ability of CCL to effectively use the JEOL SEM in the lab.

I suppose you might wonder why I would know about SEMs and environmental
considerations. One of the areas I worked in at Intel was the replacement
of optical critical dimension measurement with SEM critical dimension
measurement inside a semiconductor manufacturing facility. We implemented
JEOL, Nanometrics and ultimately Hitachi SEM systems. JEOL and Nanometrics
were very sensitive to the environment we placed the systems. Hitachi much
less so.

If you can come across a Hitachi SEM you _might_ be able to make it work in
the CCL environment. JEOL SEMs can be very good systems placed in a good
clean, vibration isolated location. It will be very difficult (maybe
impossible) to get sufficiently useful images or beam control for
analytical reasons without such conditions.

Cindy