[sudo-discuss] hacker schools discussion

Romy Ilano romy at snowyla.com
Sun Feb 2 20:34:10 PST 2014

Here's a good Fast Company article, they highlight the people who paid the
money but didn't find jobs:

http://www.fastcompany.com/3023456/become-an-ios-developer-in-8-weeks-the-truth-about-hack-schools

   - One example was pretty weird... there was a pregnant woman who enered
   dev bootcamp, and she couldn't compete with her 12 hours study days against
   others who were studying 16 hours a day. -- wow! what were they thinking? I
   think a hacker bootcamp would be a terrible idea for a pregnant woman / new
   parent.

   - One hacker school is in the Midwest, where there aren't that many
   mobile developer jobs and they were training people to be iOS Developers.
   Kind of weird.

I love hacker schools, but they have to be extremely selective if they
advertise to people that graduating students are going to get $70K a year
jobs after only 10-15 weeks of study. The advertising of salaries is what
bothers me a lot...

As we've been discussing, I see totally shady for-profit institutions
copying the hacker idea and fleecing unqualified students in the future. I
don't want the good hacker schools to get shut down :(

Romy Ilano
romy at snowyla.com