[sudo-discuss] Sudo! Wanna co-host this surveillance event?

David Keenan dkeenan44 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 3 02:33:50 PST 2014

Matt, I will bring up your point at the next organizing meeting for sure.
Thank you for being willing to sponsor.

Yardena - your point is exceedingly well taken, as I sit here from my gmail
account, writing about how if want to do the event, we should post it on
facebook...sigh.

To my discredit, I really don't have an answer for this one except that in
my opinion, email as a medium is itself an inherently broken means of
secure communication, a lotta people on sudo have google accounts, and yeah
sudo posts regularly to facebook, which is why I asked.. Sometimes you have
to reach out to people in an archaic medium they already grok - like on a
listserv, or fb - in order to tell them that is maybe not The Best Way.

Personally, once I gave up on email qua email as being meaningfully secure,
I sort of stopped caring who my provider was. Or teaching people how to
encrypt their message content, only to have them never get that doesn't
secure their attachments or the "metadata" or render messages readable from
the web from any device anymore or or or (I kind of hate the term metadata
btw, as in mass culture 'metadata' has seemingly come to infer something
other than 'our' data, and as if metadata is not also our data, just like
our non-meta data).

But yes for sure, if we care about 'privacy', we DO need to be off fb (and
onto building up diaspora or something similar), and, we need to be off
email. And use some darkmail, or otr or a private forum or something else.

I feel like for us to all get off fb, we need a real alternative to go to,
and a campaign. Same with email. But before we build that up.. using
fb/email or not using it, it seems like being caught between a rock and a
hard place when trying to promote an event but not feed the biting hand,
you know?

As this is precisely the position I feel like the system of capital as a
whole places us in, far beyond mark zuckerberg and google and 'big data':
We can't help but feed the hand that bites us. We 'need' to be bitten, so
our traumatized, bitten selves can feed somebody or something else..often
while simultaneously handing a bite to somebody else less powerful, as in
in the case of gentrification. If that partially re-inverted idiom still
makes any sense..which um, no, looks like it doesn't. Well. Sorry, tired.
But I totally get you.

Yeah. Tired.

David