[sudo-discuss] Video of Mandela Foods Cooperative and the West Oakland Youth Standing Empowered Program | American Worker Cooperative

Hol Gaskill hol at gaskill.com
Tue Feb 4 11:19:33 PST 2014

Looks like they give investors a 3% return, which is considerably lower than what would be sought by venture capitalist crowd.  I am a huge supporter of cooperatives and worker ownership but there has to be room for financial engagement with the broader community who have other trades.  Alot of cooperatives have to secure loans (from chase bank et al in many cases!) in the form of mortgages or to provide working capital.  I think if in reshaping the economic landscape we have to wait for people who are going to be doing the entry level manual tasks to throw down their share of the working capital, we will die waiting.  I don't really know much about this organization in detail, just had been looking over their site and wanted to put in my 0.02

I also recognize a few of these evil capitalists http://peoplescommunitymarket.com/testimonials/

Anybody have info on what they pay their workers?

cheers