[sudo-discuss] Video of Mandela Foods Cooperative and the West Oakland Youth Standing Empowered Program | American Worker Cooperative

Jeremy Entwistle jwentwistle at cryptolab.net
Tue Feb 4 12:38:44 PST 2014

If it were a loan with a portion of the profits going to the investors
(initial amount plus interest), which will eventually become a worker
cooperative, then that's an amazing idea. We need more people to
finance worker cooperatives, but I didn't see any evidence of that on
their website. I have nothing against investors or investment other
than they usually own the means of production after the initial
investment. I want workers to own the means of production after the
investment has been returned to the investor.

On 02/04/2014 11:19 AM, Hol Gaskill wrote:
> Looks like they give investors a 3% return, which is considerably
> lower than what would be sought by venture capitalist crowd.  I am
> a huge supporter of cooperatives and worker ownership but there has
> to be room for financial engagement with the broader community who
> have other trades.  Alot of cooperatives have to secure loans (from
> chase bank et al in many cases!) in the form of mortgages or to
> provide working capital.  I think if in reshaping the economic
> landscape we have to wait for people who are going to be doing the
> entry level manual tasks to throw down their share of the working
> capital, we will die waiting.  I don't really know much about this
> organization in detail, just had been looking over their site and
> wanted to put in my 0.02
>
> I also recognize a few of these evil capitalists
> http://peoplescommunitymarket.com/testimonials/
>
> Anybody have info on what they pay their workers?
>
> cheers
>

> Feb 4, 2014 11:04:22 AM, jwentwistle at cryptolab.net wrote:
>>
>> I support everybody who provides food to Oakland, as we
>> definitely don't have enough grocery stores in the area, but
>> these stores shouldn't be referred to as being the same thing.
>>
>> While it's called the People's Community Market, it is not owned
>> by the people, it's owned by a corporation. It's capitalistic and
>> profits that are made by the corporation will go to the owners of
>> it, not the people working there. The worker's wages will always
>> be seen as a cost to the owners and the profits created by the
>> workers will be stolen from them. Meanwhile, the workers at the
>> Mandela Food Cooperative are the owners and the profits made by
>> the workers will go to them.
>>
>> I understand that we need more grocery stores with fresh produce
>> in the area, but I don't see that as an excuse to exploit the
>> workers.
>>
>> Take care, Jeremy
>>
>> On 02/04/2014 06:26 AM, Marina Kukso wrote:
>>> you might want to just talk to them to learn more about the
>>> other activities they do and ways that you can contribute. that
>>> might be the best way to learn about ways to contribute that
>>> might be useful to them.
>>>
>>> also, have you heard of the people's community market?
>>> http://peoplescommunitymarket.com/
>>>

>>> On Tue, Feb 4, 2014 at 3:14 AM, Romy Snowyla romy at snowyla.com
>>> mailto:romy at snowyla.com>> wrote:
>>>
>>> http://www.american.coop/content/video-mandela-foods-cooperative-and-west-oakland-youth-standing-empowered-program

I was at west Oakland Bart and shopped at a worker run and owned