[sudo-discuss] Not a sober space, but...

Chris Bee hotelcompany at gmail.com
Sun Feb 16 19:17:53 PST 2014

...I feel really awkward proposing this, but lately it seems like the thing
to do with some of the newcomers goes something like this-

1. Get loaded somewhere else
2. Head to Sudo
3. ???
4. RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGE!!! (and/or pass out, depending)

As someone who used to do this on a nightly basis, I kind of get it but
even in my finer moments I don't think I would have shown up at a space
where people were trying to work and expected a warm reception. And, as
someone who has chosen to embrace sobriety I have no quarrel with people
who haven't, but since I haven't really developed the patience required to
deal with drunk folks yet I tend to retreat or act somewhat distant towards
them. Sometimes this results in them chasing me around the space because
they want to "hang out," especially if I'm working on music stuff...that's
okay if they can do so in a non-disruptive manner, but I'm kind of screwed
if they can't so I'm more or less forced to deal with them or (sacre bleu!)
leave Sudo to try to get shit done.

What I am NOT proposing is making Sudo a sober space. If it comes to that,
sure, but as a first measure I think it's heavy handed and doesn't really
serve the interests of the community that can have a couple of beers and
function equally well as without. I think what I am asking is that we, as a
group, need to send the message that Sudo is not the afterparty, and that
if it continues to be treated like one that the individuals involved will
be asked to leave for the night. I think being somewhat forgiving in this
situation is probably not a bad idea...and of course, repeated behavior of
this sort will probably be brought up in a meeting (i.e. is having *****
around worth it?) and appropriate action will be taken.

Needless to say, Sudo/BAPS events would be more or less exempt since the
actual drinking will be taking place here and any situations that arise
from said drinking will be dealt with as needed.

I would like to hear what everyone has to say about this.

-chrisbee